South and East Heywood Heritage

There are comparatively few heritage-listed buildings in the south and east of Heywood, although there are probably more places there worthy of the title.

Click on the place titles for more heritage information.

All Souls’ Church
Rochdale Road East, Heywood (1908) (Grade: II)
Church 1898-9, F.P. Oakley. Tower 1908. The tower was donated by Rathbone Hartley the first vicar.

All Souls' Church (Wikimedia Commons)

Barcroft
Bolton Road, Marland, Rochdale (1894) (Grade II)

'Barcroft' (artsandcraftschurch.org)

Railway Warehouse and Loading Shed, Old Goods Yard
Sefton Street, Heywood (1841-43) (Grade: II)
An early example of a railway warehouse and loading shed, built c.1841-3 at the end of the pioneering first phase of railway construction. It stands at the end of the original Heywood branch line built in 1840-1 which is connected to the main Manchester and Leeds railway.

Railway Warehouse, Sefton Street.

Hopwood Hall
Rochdale Road, Middleton (16th-18th century) (Grade: II*)
This was the ancestral home of the Hopwood family until 1923, and there has been a residence on this site since the 12th century. The current Hopwood Hall is thought to have been rebuilt in the 17-18th century with parts dating back further. It later became the De La Salle teacher training college.

Hopwood Hall, undated.

Hopwood Hall Icehouse (1830) (Grade II)

Hopwood Hall icehouse (artsandcraftschurch.org)

Former Chapel at Hopwood Hall (1964-65) (Grade II)
The De La Salle Brothers had a concrete chapel built on part of the Hopwood Hall estate during 1964–65. It was designed by Frederick Gibberd (architect of Liverpool_Metropolitan_Cathedral), and is now deconsecrated.

Hopwood Hall Chapel (mainstreammodern.co.uk)

Edgecroft
Manchester Road, Heywood (1921) (Grade II)
'Edgecroft' is the last building designed and built by noted architect Edgar Wood prior to his retirement to Italy.

'Edgecroft' (http://manchesterhistory.net)

Lower Whittle Farmhouse
Doctor Fold Lane, Middleton (17th century) (Grade II)

Doctor Fold Lane, c.1848. 

No comments:

Post a Comment