For centuries, Darn Hill was a rural farming area in the township of Heap. That changed dramatically in the 1960s, in the lingering aftermath of World War II. Manchester had suffered heavy bombing during that war, leaving it with a housing crisis. Manchester City Council’s solution was to buy land from neighbouring boroughs for the construction of new municipal housing outside the city boundaries, although the residents of these new estates would still pay rent and rates to MCC. By 1955 at least 68,000 houses in Manchester were unfit for human habitation, 600 were falling down per year, and there was a pressing need for 81,000 new houses.
171 acres of land in the west of Heywood, mainly home to fields and some farm buildings, had been identified in 1952 as a potential site for what was termed an ‘overspill development’. A request from Manchester Town Hall was made to Heywood councillors to allow them to use the land for construction. A subsequent public inquiry revealed many local ob…
This timeline of the history of Heywood is a work in progress. It is intended to be as accurate as possible, and suggested corrections or additions are welcome.
Pre - A.D. 1270 7th century: Middleton is thought to have been settled by this time.1086: Rochdale recorded in the Domesday Book as Recedham.1164: Heywood family recorded in local area.1183: Records for Ashworth start around this time.1197: Reference to Birtle in records.12th century: Hopwood family recorded at site of current Hopwood Hall.1210: Reference to hamlets of Lumhalghs (Lomax) and Hep (Heap) in records.1260: Land at Pilsworth granted to William de Radcliffe. 1270-1600 1260s-70s: Adam de Bury grants land to Peter de Heywood during this time.1278: William del Bridge granted land near Bury.1292: Reference to Hoppewode in records13th century: Bamford family living in Bamford area.13th century: Peter de Heywood builds Heywood Hall.13th century: Woollen mill recorded at Bamford16th century: Woollen mill recorded at Bridge Hal…
Park Mill (originally River Street Mill)
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
River Street, Hooley Brow
1848: Not present on OS map
1871 directory: Brocklehurst William & Co. (manufacturers), River street mill Hooley brow.
1890: Marked on OS map as unnamed cotton mill.
1922 directory: Operated by Kershaw, A.
1928: Named on OS map as Park Mill (cotton).
1937: Marked on OS map as ‘disused’.
1957: Marked on OS map as Park Mill (cotton).
2018: Building still present and in use.
Park Street Mill
Park Street, Hopwood
1847: Not present on OS map.
1875 directory: Hoyle John, Park street mill, Heywood.
1888 directory: Park Street Cotton Spinning Co. Limited, Park Street Mill, Hopwood.
1891 directory: Park Street Cotton Spinning Co, Limited (and doublers), Park street; 41,000 spindles, 408/801, weft, 608 twist.
1922 directory: Park Street Spinning Co.
1937: Marked on OS map as Cotton Mill.
1947: Not present on OS…