The Old Mills of Heywood: I-N

Marland and Mars Mill, Castleton, 1990. (Chris Allen)

You can also find information about the following mills on this interactive map.




Isherwood Mill - see Scholfield Street Mill

James Atkinson Ropery
Ropery
Captain Fold
1848: Rope Walk marked here on OS map.
1880 directory: Atkinson James & John, Captain fold, rope and twine manufacturer.
1888 directory: James Atkinson, rope & twine manufacturer, Captain fold; res. 118 Rochdale rd.
1890: OS map shows two rope walks, one either side of Barley Hall Road area.
1910: OS map shows only one rope walk, to the east of Barley Hall Road.
1927: Rope walks not present on OS map.

Atkinson Ropery, OS map, 1893.

Jericho Workhouse
Bury and Rochdale Old Road, Jericho

A workhouse was a place where those unable to support themselves were offered accommodation and employment.

1857: A new workhouse was opened here by the Bury Poor Law Union to replace several older ones, including the establishment at Heady Hill.
1862: New accommodation opened for infants.
1868: New accommodation opened for the mentally-ill.
1876: New infectious diseases hospital opened.
1912: 700 inmates in the workhouse.
1914: Military hospital established at the site.
1916: Jericho Workhouse cemetery closes, having already been used for about 4,000 burials.
1929: Renamed Jericho Institution.
1948: Fairfield Hospital opened here. The main workhouse buildings are demolished, although some smaller structures remain.

Jericho Workhouse, OS map, 1908.

John Street Mill
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
John Street/Starkey Street
1847: Not marked on OS map.
1880 directory: Grindrod & Co., Limited, cotton spinners, John Street Mill.
1880 directory: Wood Richard, Esq., J.P., cotton manufacturer, Vale Mill and John Street and High Street Mills; h. Plumpton Hall.
1888 directory: Wood W.C. & Brothers, John Street Mill, & 25 Portland St. Manchester.
1928: Still marked on OS map as Cotton Mill.
1937: Building not present on OS map.

John Street Mill, OS map, 1907.

Kershaw Bridge Mill
Dyeing, originally cotton
Cheesden Brook
1780: Became the first mill to open in the Cheesden Valley. A fustian mill built for Thomas Allanson, and probably employed about 10 people.
1786: A water mill is marked here on Yates' map of Lancashire.
1840s: Was a dyeworks by this time.
1845: Taken over by the Whitehead family and converted for cotton production.
1847: Named on OS map as Kershaw Bridge (dye works).
Early 1850s: Became the first mill in the valley to cease production.
2018: Building no longer present, although there are remains of foundations and the old reservoir.

Kershaw Bridge, OS map, 1848.

Lane End Mill
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
Rochdale Lane
1829 directory: James Clegg and Co.
1841 directory: Clegg Wm. cotton spinner & manufacturer, Lane end; Clegg Wm. jun. cotton spinner, house Rochdale lane.
1851: Marked on OS map as Lane End Mill.
1850 directory: Clegg William & Sons, Lane End Mill, Rochdale Lane.
1850 directory: Heywood John & Jas., Rochdale lane Mill, and 8 Friday street, Manchester (cotton spinners and manufacturers).
1880 directory: Crossley John & Co., cotton manufacturers, Lane End and Fold Mills; h. Milton house, 3 Cobden Street.
1888 directory: Holt Thomas, Lane End Mill, Rochdale la. (flock manufacturers).
1980s: Ground floor used for hardware shop.
2005: Still present at this time
2018: Building no longer present.

Lane End Mill, OS map, 1937.

Long Land Mill (aka Longlands)
Circa 1838: Opened as a cotton mill.
1880s: Came under the ownership of Barlow and Jones and was probably converted to a new process of cotton waste spinning.
1893: Closed by this time.
1982: Archaeology - Large reservoir with traces of buildings and site of wheel pit below.

Long Land Mill, OS map, 1848.

Lower Pasture Mill
Cotton
Cheesden Brook, Cheesden Pasture
1830s: Had been built by this time by the Ramsbottom family.
1847: Marked on OS map as Cotton Mill.
1893: Closed by this time.
2018: Buildings no longer present.

Cheesden Pasture mills, OS map, 1848.

Lower Wheel Mill (aka Washwheel Mill)
Dye and printing, later bleaching
Cheesden Brook, just below Deeply Vale
1847: Named on OS map as Lower Wheel (print works).
1880s: Taken over by Joseph Shepherd during the 1880s for the bleaching of cotton waste.
1919: Became the last mill in the valley to close, and its chimney stack can still be seen there today (2018), as well as the mill pond and some foundations.

Lower Wheel Print Works, OS map, 1848.

Makin Mill - see Roach Mill

Marland Mill
Cotton
Castleton
1890: Not present on OS map.
1908: Present on OS map.
1956: Marked on OS map as Marland Mill (cotton).
1977: Marked on OS map as Marland Mill (warehouse).
2005: Demolished.

Marland Mill, OS map, 1905.

Mars Mill
Cotton
Castleton
1906: Built to built to spin the 'finest Egyptian cotton'.
1913: Extra storey added to the mill.
1919: Mill sold to Cottam and Mellor of Oldham.
1920: Mars Mill (1920) Ltd formed.
1929: Mill bought by the Lancashire Cotton Corporation, set up by the Bank of England to save the struggling industry.
1950s: Closed.
1990s: Demolished.


Mars Mill, OS map, 1905.

Meadowcroft Mill
Woollen
River Roch, near Gnat Bank
1848: Marked on OS map as Meadow Croft Fulling Mill.
1880: Porritt Samuel & Sons, woollen manufacturers, Bamford Mills and Meadowcroft Mill.
1891: Samuel Porritt and Sons (and fullers and finishers), Bamford Woollen and Meadowcroft Mills; 160 looms, blanketings, tapes, roller cloths, &c.
1930: Rebuilt, three storeys high.
1957: Marked on OS map as Meadowcroft Mills (woollen).
2010: Fire.
2018: Buildings still present and in use.

Meadow Croft Mill, OS map, 1847.

Miller Street Dye Works
Dye
Miller Street
1847: building not present on OS map.
1871 directory: Taylor Benjamin (and bleacher), Miller brook works.
1888 directory: McFarlane William (& sizer), Millers-brook Works, Miller St.
1890: Marked on OS map as Miller Street Dye Works.
1921: Building used as cotton waste warehouse.
1956: Marked on OS map as builder’s yard.

Miller Street Dye Works, OS map, 1890.

Miller’s Brook Mill
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
Miller Street
1851: Marked on OS map as Miller's Brook Mill, building is similar shape to those there at later dates.
1880 directory: Cheetham C. & S., cotton spinners, Miller's Brook Mill.
1888 directory: Wolstenholme & Wild, Miller Street Mill, Miller St.
1891 directory: Wolstenholme and Wild, Miller Street Mill; 9,472 spindles, 41/208 bundles and warps.
1922: Operated by Wild, Wm Ltd.
1937: Marked on OS map as Miller’s Brook Mill.
2018: Building still present and in use.

Miller's Brook Mill, OS map, 1929.

Moorcroft Mill

Cotton weaving
Hall Street
1947: Not present on OS map.
1957: Marked on OS map as Moorcroft Mill (Cotton Weaving).
1986: Still present on OS map.
2018: Building no longer present.

Moorcroft Mill, OS map, 1957.

'Mop Shop'
Miller Street/Clarke Street

Although it was built during the 1920s, this building is generally regarded as being part of Millers Brook Mill (which had been erected by 1847). It was structurally and architecturally separate to Miller's Brook Mill, but by the 1950s it was being named on Ordnance Survey maps as 'Miller's Brook Mill'. It was operated by Harold Watson, and mop heads were made here, earning it the nickname 'The Mop Shop'.

1907: Not present on OS map.
1928: Present on OS map.
1937: Neighbouring Phoenix Mill no longer present on OS map.
1957: Marked on OS map as Millers' Brook Mill.
2018: Building still present.

Mop Shop, OS map, 1937.

Moss Iron Works
Iron and machine works
Dawson Street
1875 directory: Mills James, Moss foundry, Heywood.
1891: Named on OS map as Moss Foundry, situated next to Wellmeadow (later Times) Mill.
1927: Present and named on OS map.
1957: Still marked on OS map as iron works.
1988: Building still present on OS map.
2018: Building no longer present.

Moss Iron Works, OS map, 1938.

Moss Mill
Cotton spinning
Bamford Road
1850 directory: Mills and Wild, Moss Mill, Bamford road (cotton spinners).
1871 directory: Ashworth George, Moss mill (spinners)
1880 directory: Wild & Co. Moss Mill.
1891 directory: Wild and Co. (cotton spinners and doublers); 5,600 spindles, 71/141; 4 looms, sponge cloths.
1922 directory: Operated by Wild & Co.
1937: Marked on OS map as cotton mill.
1957: Marked on OS map as Moss Mill (sponge cloth).
1980s: Demolished.
2018: Building no longer present; site of supermarket.

Moss Mill, OS map, 1928.

Mossfield Mill
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
Gee Street (now George Street)
1841 directory: Harrison James & John & Co. cotton spinners and manufacturers, Gee St.
1850 directory: Harrison James and John, Well meadow and Moss field Mills (cotton spinners and manufacturers).
1851: Marked on OS map as Mossfield Mill (cotton).
1871 directory: Norris Brothers (fustians), Wellmeadow and Mossfield Mills, and 36 Cannon street, Manchester (cotton spinners).
1880 directory: Norris Brothers, cotton spinners and manufacturers, Well Meadow Mill (cotton spinner and manufacturer).
1891 directory: Norris Brothers, 19,676 spindles; 714 looms, fustians; Manchester warehouse -36 Cannon street.
1907: Named on OS map as Mossfield Mill (cotton).
1917: Healey Bros. were operating here.
1970s: Mill home to Lancashire Metalcraft.
2000: Demolished by this time.
2018: Building no longer present.

Mossfield Mill, OS map, 1947.

Moulding Mill (aka Bull Hole Mill)
Cotton
Birtle Moor
1780: A water-powered woollen spinning mill at this site is said to date back to this time.
1836: Partnership between Eli Howard and Thomas Holt, cotton spinners and manufactures at Moulding Mill, is dissolved.
1847: Marked on OS map as Moulding Mill (cotton).
1850s: Purchased by Joseph Diggle.
1894: Marked on OS map as Moulding Mill (disused).
1908: Building not present on OS map.

Moulding Mill, OS map, 1847.

Mutual Mills
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
Aspinall Street area
1884: First mill built, (facing Mutual Street and Aspinall Street, NW corner of site).
1891:Mutual Spinning Co, Limited, 83,452 spindles, 308/508 twist, 321/608 weft; Royal Exchange, Manchester, daily, No. 15 pillar.
1900: No.2 Mill built by this time (facing Aspinall St and Buckley St, SW corner of site).
1914: No.3 Mill built by this time (facing Mutual St and Orchard St, NE corner of site). The Mutual Spinning Company was now the largest firm in the district with a total of 246,000 spindles.
1937: Mutual Mill weaving shed completed by this time.
2018: Building still present and heritage-listed.

Mutual Mills, OS map, 1928.

New York Mill (newer)
Cotton spinning
Argyle Street, Broadfield
1884: New York Mill Co. Ltd formed.
1891 directory: New York Mill Co, Limited; 57,048 weft spindles, 361561; 17,356 twist spindles, 368/428.
1929: Closed.
1938: Marked on OS map as ‘disused’.
1957: Building not present on OS map.

New York Mill, OS map, 1929.

New York Mill (older)
Cotton spinning and manufacturing
Area of what is now New York Street
Early 1800s: Water-powered mill on this site.
1829: William Hartley, New York, Heap.
1841: Hartley Wm. cotton spinner & fustian manfr. New York & Roe Acre mills.
1850: Crabtree John and Thomas, New York Mill (cotton spinners).
1851: Named on OS map as New York Mill (cotton).
1890: Building not present on OS map (newer New York Mill to the south open by this time).
Note: ‘Margaret Gee owned the old New York Factory and Mr. William Hartley was the tenant, when the old steam engine was hand gear, and gave a clicking sound in working’. (Heywood Advertiser, 1906).

New York Mill, OS map, 1847.

   References   
  • Barrett’s 1880 Directory of Bury, Heywood, Ramsbottom, Radcliffe and Pilkington.
  • Commercial Directory and Shippers Guide, 1875. 
  • Hannah Haynes, HeywoodChalford Publishing, 1997. 
  • Heap’s 1850 Directory of Bur
  • Heywood Advertiser (various dates). 
  • Heywood Living Memories
  • John Hudson, Heywood in Old Photographs, Sutton Publishing 1994. 
  • Ordnance Survey maps (various).
  • Pigot and Co.’s national commercial directory for 1828-29. 
  • Pigot and Co.’s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841
  • AV Sandiford and TE Ashworth, The Forgotten ValleyBury and District Local History Society, 1981. 
  • Slater’s 1888 Directory of Bury, Heywood, Radcliffe and Ramsbottom. 
  • Worrall’s 1871 Directory of Bury, Bolton and district. 
  • Worrall's Cotton Spinners & Manufacturers Directory for Lancashire 1891. 
  • Worrall’s 1891 Directory of Bury, Bolton and district.

Comments

Popular posts

'Religion in Heywood' Map

General Timeline of Heywood History

The Old Mills of Heywood: C-E