Central Heywood Heritage

Listed places in central Heywood include mills, churches, the park, war memorial and the library. There are probably many more buildings worthy of heritage status than are on the list.

Click on the place title for more heritage information.

Hooley Bridge Mills
Bamford Road, Heywood (1830s) (Grade II)
The first mills here were built by the Fentons in 1826. A village was built for the workers (no alcohol allowed) but a family dispute led to the closure of the mill in 1861. It reopened in the 1890s under WR Lees, towel manufacturer.

Hooley Bridge Mill (geograph.org.uk/photo/303033)

Queens Park
Queens Park Road, Heywood (1879) (Grade II)

Queens Park, Heywood (rochdaleonline.co.uk)

Crimble Mill
Crimble Lane, Heywood (1886) (Grade II*)
There was a woollen fulling mill here owned by the Kenyon family by 1780 (used for cotton from 1803). It was rebuilt in 1829, and the main surviving section was constructed in 1886. It has been empty for a number of years

Crimble Mill, Heywood.

Mutual Mills
Mutual Street, Heywood (1884-1914) (Grade II)

Mutual Mills (familypedia.wikia.com)

Mary Street, Heywood (1913-16) (Grade II)

St Joseph's (Rochdale Past)

St Luke’s Church
York Street, Heywood (1860-1862) (Grade II*)

St Lukes Church, Heywood (churches-uk-ireland.org)

St Luke’s Vicarage
York Street, Heywood (1826) (Grade II)

St Luke’s Vicarage, York Street, Heywood
St Luke's Vicarage, York Street.

Sundial
St Luke’s Church, Heywood (Grade II)
'1686 RH 1807' (Robert Heywood) on head 'restored 1906' on base. Stone with copper face. Above is a slightly projecting panelled stage with inscription in each face. The face cornice which would appear to be of 1906 rather than earlier.

Sundial, St Luke's Church.

Heywood Central Library
Church Street, Heywood (1908) (Grade II)
Library. 1905-6. S.V. North and C. Callas.

Heywood Library.

War Memorial
Church Street, Heywood (1925) (Grade II)
War memorial. 'W Marsden Sc. 1925' on statue base. Stone with bronze female figure holding a palm of victory standing on a Pedestal. Behind is a plain shaft inscribed to the men of Heywood with tapering shafts adjoined to either side. 

War Memorial, Heywood (Wikimedia Commons)

St James Church
Tower Street, Heywood (1838) (Grade II)
1838. Chancel 1861.

St James' Church, Heywood.

No comments:

Post a Comment